ST. Mary of the immaculate Conception
ST. MARY OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
Addition & Renovation
From its original construction in 1858, the St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception church in Portage, WI has always been finding ways to keep up with their growing parish. After a facilities study, the parish selected Kraemer Brothers to construct their latest project. Upgrades to this church included constructing a new centrally accessible entrance, adding gathering space, increasing accessibility to the facilities, adding a kitchen and fellowship hall, restrooms, and a complete renovation of the nave, working sacristy, and sanctuary — all while maintaining the look and feel of the historic church. At the beginning of construction, Kraemer Brothers alleviated many structural flaws in the existing church by pouring new concrete footings and installing new floor beams, compared to the crumbling brick footings and rotten wood flooring beams that were initially there. We also replaced the rotten wood framing in the bell tower, making sure it was structurally sound. Staying true to the architectural style and integrity of the existing church, the exterior of the building was constructed with brick and cast stone with aluminum storefront window and door systems. Interior finishes and furnishings included a new reredos wall, new pews and seating, carpeting, vinyl and porcelain tiling, drywall, ceiling, and painting while the interior brick, wood beams, stained-glass windows, and the Stations-of-the-Cross remained preserved from the existing church. Outside of the initial scope of the project, the old pews were re-milled and used for trim in the basement and around the windows and door frames.